accueil accueil toutes les publications par carte mailto:photos@piganl.net
Retour index

Road-Trip en Irlande, jour 8


[Index] [Jour 1] [Jour 2] [Jour 3] [Jour 4] [Jour 5] [Jour 6] [Jour 7] [Jour 8] [Jour 9] [Jour 10] [Jour 11] [Jour 12] [Jour 13] [Jour 14]


Cong abbey

Rosserk friary

Ross beach

Rathfran priory

Yellow beach, lackan bay

Monument général Humbert

Rathlackan tumulus

Downpatrick´s head


Cong abbey

Première petite visite de la journée. Une abbaye avec un petit trail dans la forêt de l'abbaye pas grand chose si ce n'est un mur et un carré vert représentant le cloître. L'abbaye était située auprès d'une rivière, très beau coin.

The ruins of Cong Abbey, a former Augustinian abbey, mostly date to the 13th century and have been described as featuring some of finest examples of medieval ecclestial architecture in Ireland.

The grounds of the abbey also contain a monks’ fishing house, probably built in the 15th or 16th century, on an island in the River Cong leading towards nearby Lough Corrib.


Rosserk friary

Peut être l'un des monastères qu'il m'a semblé le mieux conservé de tous ceux que j'ai visité. Plusieurs sculptures à l'intérieur.

Rosserk Friary is one of the finest and best preserved of the Franciscan Friaries in Ireland. It was founded by the Joye family circa 1440 for the Friars of the Franciscan Third Order Regular.

The church is built in the late Irish Gothic Style and consists of a single-aisle nave, with two chantry chapels in the south transept and a bell-tower suspended over the chancel arch. In the south-east corner of the chancel is a double piscina with a Round Tower carved on one of its pillars, two angels and the instruments of the passion.

The conventual buildings are well-preserved with three vaulted rooms on each side. The dormitory, refectory and kitchen were on the upper floor, where two fireplaces still remain back-to-back.


Ross beach

Une baie, entre soleil et pluie.


Rathfran priory

Un petit prieuré au milieu de nulle part.

The Priory of the Holy Cross was founded for the Dominicans in 1274.
The 13th Century church is a long rectangular structure with a small crucifixion panel over the west door and the remains of a fine triple lancet east window. Possibly as late as the 15th Century some of the lancet windows in the south wall were built up, and at the same time a separate aisle was added with a fine window. The nave was partially rebuilt in the 15th Century. To the north of the church, there were originally two cloisters, but only the foundations remain to show where they stood.


Yellow beach, lackan bay

Wahou, une plage de sable en plein milieu de toute ces falaises, ça faisait longtemps. Belle plage dite "yellow beach"


Monument général Humbert, premier soldat français mort sur le sol irlandais + pierre commémorative du landing beach

C'est donc la qu'on apprend que des français ont voulu aider des irlandais. Pas super bien passé. Quelques vagues monuments rappellent les lieux des événements, mais pas véritablement de détails sur ce dont il s'agissait globalement. Ça manque un peu. Ça soit ça fait bien partie de l'histoire irlandaise et tout le monde connait ça par cœur, soit ils veulent oublier. En attendant, ça m'a obligé a faire quelques recherches sur le net pour ne pas rester sur ma faim.

General Jean Joseph Amable Humbert (22 August 1767 – 3 January 1823) was a French soldier, a participant in the French Revolution, who led a failed invasion of Ireland to assist Irish rebels in 1798.

In 1794 after serving in the Army of the Coasts of Brest, Humbert served under Hoche in the Army of the Rhin-et-Moselle. Charged to prepare for an expedition against Ireland, he took command of the Légion des Francs under Hoche, sailing in the ill-fated Expédition d'Irlande against Bantry Bay in 1796, and was engaged in actions at sea against the Royal Navy. Contrary weather and enemy action forced this expedition to withdraw, on his return to France he served in the Army of the Sambre-et-Meuse, before being appointed to command the troops in another attempt to support a rising in Ireland in 1798. His command chiefly consisted of infantry of the 70th demi-brigade with a few artillerymen and some cavalry of the 3rd Hussars,[1] however by the time he arrived off the Irish coast the United Irish rising had already suffered defeat. The expedition was able to land in Ireland at Killala on Thursday 23 August 1798, meeting with initial success in the battle of Castlebar, and subsequently declaring a Republic of Connacht, with hopes of taking Dublin. But his small force was defeated at the battle of Ballinamuck and he was taken as a prisoner of war by the Kingdom of Great Britain.

In 1989 Sculptor Carmel Gallagher unveiled a bust of General Humbert in Killala Ireland to mark the then upcoming bicentennial of the 1798 Rebellion.


Rathlackan tumulus

Une sépulture mégalithique. Extrêmement marécageux, mon pied s'enfonçait a mi cheville dans le sol.

The fine Court Cairn at Rathlacken, one of three clustered together in the middle of a complex of neolithic field systems, the famous Ceide Fields.


Downpatrick´s head

Une pointe avec des "sea-stack", des morceaux de terre tombés dans la mer laissant des trous béants dans le sol. Bien protégé par des clôtures, on ne va pas tomber dedans, mais heureusement qu'elles sont bien protégées car elles apparaissent de manière assez impromptue, sans cette protection, on aurait vite la tête dans l'eau. Très belle vue a la pointe, avec des restes d'une ancienne église dédiée à st Patrick.

Downpatrick Head est un ensemble de falaises vertigineuses, avec ses strates de pierres sombres, sur laquelles s'écrasent violemment l'océan atlantique, et coupées du reste de l’Irlande dans le comté de Mayo.

Une statue de Saint Patrick marque le début de ces falaises, là où vous pourrez admirer Poll na Seantoine, un gouffre de 30 mètres creusé naturellement par l’érosion de l’océan.

L’Histoire raconte d’ailleurs que ce serait dans cette cavité que des insurgés de la Rébellion de 1798 se seraient cachés. Malheureusement, la marée les aurait emporté par la suite. Une plaque commémorative est d’ailleurs installée à proximité pour conter leur histoire…

Si vous continuer la promenade, vous passerez ensuite près d’un poste d’observation datant de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale. Il offre un superbe panorama sur les falaises.


[Index] [Jour 1] [Jour 2] [Jour 3] [Jour 4] [Jour 5] [Jour 6] [Jour 7] [Jour 8] [Jour 9] [Jour 10] [Jour 11] [Jour 12] [Jour 13] [Jour 14]

 


 

Retour index

accueil accueil toutes les publications par carte mailto:photos@piganl.net